Medical Abortion is a safe, pain free and effective way to end an early pregnancy by using medicine. The combination of the two medicines will cause you to bleed and in most cases end the pregnancy at home.
What is the medical abortion?
The medical abortion is a way to end pregnancy without using instruments or surgery. It's done with medicine from one week - 26 weeks.
Why do some women prefer the medical abortion?
- No anesthesia or surgery required
- It can be done very early in the pregnancy
- They feel more in control
- They may feel it is less invasive
- More natural
- They may feel it's more like a miscarriage
- It's more private
- They have the abortion at home
Who can choose medical abortion.
You may choose the abortion if you are less than 26 weeks pregnant from the first day of your last periods.
How effective is it?
Medical abortion is approximately 95% effective.
How does it feel?
You may experience some or all of the following:
- some cramps
- nausea or vomiting
Call the Physician if you:
- Soak more than two sanitary pads per hour for 2 consecutive hours
- Have severe pain not relieved by pain medication
- Have an allergic reaction to any medication (itching, rash or hives)
- Develop a foul vaginal odour
Will I need a follow-up?
Yes. Your Physician needs to make sure the abortion is complete.
What if I don't have a complete abortion after taking the medicine?
Your Physician will decide what option is best for you.
When will I get my period?
You should expect your next menstrual cycle four to eight weeks after your miscarriage.